Meningitis vaccine is generally safe. Even so, it may be unsafe for a particular group of people. A healthcare provider often recommends people who are moderately or severely ill wait before getting a meningitis vaccine.
The meningitis vaccine is linked to several side effects, including an increased risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS). As such, it is advisable to follow the instructions of a healthcare provider.
Some healthcare providers often administer meningitis vaccines while disregarding safety concerns, leading to complications. Unfortunately, people who encounter meningitis vaccine side effects endure hefty medical bills, pain and suffering, and reduced quality of life.
If you or a loved one is experiencing meningitis vaccine side effects due to a healthcare provider’s fault, consider speaking to a trusted vaccine injury attorney for legal advice.
Potential Side Effects: Considering Risks of Meningitis Vaccination
Like any medication, the meningitis vaccine has the potential to cause side effects. Even so, the side effects of the meningitis vaccine are mild and go away within a few days.
Here are the common side effects of meningitis vaccination:
- A general feeling of discomfort
- Fever above 100 degrees F
- Joint pain or muscle pain
- Fast heartbeat
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Skin rash, hives, or itching
- Skin reddening around the ear
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Swelling of eyelids around the eyes, lips, tongue, or face
It is advisable to consult your doctor or nurse if any of the above symptoms occur. Nonetheless, some side effects do not need medical attention. In most cases, these side effects go away in the course of treatment as the body adjusts to the medicine.
More importantly, your healthcare provider can advise you on ways to prevent or reduce the effects of the meningitis vaccine.
Severe Vaccine Side Effect
If you’re experiencing a meningitis vaccine reaction or sensitivity and your condition is worsening or persistent, it could be a sign of meningitis vaccine injury.
There are increasing cases of injuries caused by the meningitis vaccine. Although the dangers of the meningitis vaccine differ, the most common vaccine effect is shoulder injury related to vaccine administration (SIRVA).
SIRVA is an adverse reaction when a healthcare provider administers the vaccine improperly. It is a shoulder injury that occurs when a healthcare provider administers a vaccine too high into the deltoid or shoulder joint.
Consequently, it can cause a local inflammatory response and potential trauma to structures within the shoulder joint, including bursae, ligaments, and tendons, resulting in shoulder pain and restricted movement.
Symptoms of SIRVA injury can last for months or even years. Victims of SIRVA injury experience varying degrees of disability, which may impact their work, social life, and emotional well-being.
The following are the distinguishing features of SIRVA:
- Sudden shoulder pain within 48 hours of vaccination, which is different from the shoulder pain normally expected after an injection.
- A reduced range of motion
- Persistent shoulder pain or reduced range of motion that lasts for weeks to months
The impact of SIRVA injury can include:
- Interrupted sleep caused by pain
- Inability to participate in hobbies or sports
- The need for modified work duties
- Difficulty in personal care, attending daily activities, or providing care to others
- Financial burden due to mounting medical bills
- Lost income due to time off work
- Emotional distress
Types of Compensation for Meningitis Vaccine Reaction
If you or a loved one has experienced a severe meningitis vaccine reaction, you can file a claim to seek compensation for your damages. An experienced vaccine injury attorney can offer legal support and guidance in the process.
An attorney can file an insurance claim or lawsuit against the at-fault to obtain the following damages:
- Medical Expenses: You’re entitled to a refund for the medical expenses spent to treat the vaccine injury or its side effects. Medical expenses damages cater to cost items including prescription, hospitalization, surgical costs, and physical therapy. The reimbursement also covers out-of-pocket expenses.
- Lost Wages: If the vaccine injury causes you to miss work, you may be entitled to compensation for lost income. In addition to salary, lost wages cover missed bonuses, tips, overtime, and holiday allowances.
- Pain and Suffering: Anyone who experiences vaccine effects endure varying degrees of pain and discomfort due to the injury. The scope of your trauma largely determines the value of your claim. Some factors that determine the value of your pain and suffering claim include the length of treatment, the severity of symptoms, and the residue effect on the victim’s life.
You can also claim for loss of enjoyment of life, mental anguish, loss of consortium, cost of living with disability, and a reduced quality of life.
Meningitis Vaccine Allergies and Sensitivities
It is rare for a patient to experience severe allergic reactions, which can be life-threatening.
When assessing whether you’ve suffered a serious reaction, look for anything that concerns you.
Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction include:
- Swelling of the throat or face
- Difficulty breathing
- A fast heartbeat
The above symptoms usually start a few minutes to a few hours after vaccination.
Meningitis Vaccine Effectiveness Concerns
There are a few vaccine varieties that effectively and safely prevent meningococcal meningitis. Even so, these vaccines sometimes cause mild side effects such as redness and pain at the point of injection, which lasts up to two days.
According to research conducted by the New England Journal of Medicine, complete vaccination resulted in over 71% protection against meningococcal serogroup B disease.
More importantly, most meningitis vaccines provide 85-100% effectiveness in preventing four types of meningococcus germ (types A, C, Y, W-135), responsible for 70% of meningitis disease in the United States.
Get in Touch With an Experienced Vaccine Injury Attorney
People who experience vaccine side effects suffer deteriorating health, which necessitates medical attention. In other instances, the vaccine side effects make victims unable to work, reducing their disposable income.
That said, they deserve representation from an experienced attorney like Jeffrey S. Pop & Associates to enhance their chances of obtaining a fair compensation amount.
Contact us online or call us at (888) 921-3995 for a free case evaluation.